Monday, September 1, 2014

Eating Disorders and Teens


There are several reasons to start a blog on eating disorders and teens.  When I was a teen I knew a few girls who struggled with eating disorders, and the sister of a good college friend has struggled with anorexia nervosa for over 2 decades.  And now as a parent with teens, I realize that the body image issues are greater now than ever.  My goal as I write this little blog is to work through my thoughts on the topic, bring in some relevant research on treatments and ethical issues, and hopefully bring some hope and direction to parents and/or teens struggling with these issues.
eating-disorders_word-cloud


In my research, I came across an very sobering fact:  Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any other mental illness.  This fact alone brings many ethical issues to my mind.  How much intervention is enough?  Can we force feed individuals against their will?  How much information should psychologist share or withhold from parents?  At what age can a teen display autonomy and not have to share private medical info with their parents?  Should pro-ana websites and blogs be banned?  These are just a few of the topics that I would like to explore.  I would love your comments and feedback


-Sherrill


5 comments:

  1. Hi Sherrill, This is a very interesting topic. Our family has had the eating disorder issues and it is very difficult on everyone. My youngest sister has been through many ups and downs with anorexia. Force feeding is sometimes necessary but she does not usually keep the weight on. She is more into the control issue of eating when she is feeling depressed or stressed. This effects the overall health of the person which is concerning. I look forward to seeing the other issues you will look into for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Sherrill, yes this is an interesting topic because I have a slight eating disorder. I over eat when depressed or bored and lonely, it's sort of a comfort thing. Anyway I exercise in spurts and I go to AA which supports me because we share our problems with each other and work out solutions and get ideas and support. I have learned through AA that when someone gets off of Alcohol/drugs they sometimes find another addiction to supplement, because of their addictive personalities. Another addiction could be food, shopping, gambling, sex or any number of other things so I had to consider this as well and take preventive measures or at least be aware. I feel it is good to help yourself as well as a loved one when there is a problem, but it is discretionary about how much intervention to use and what methods, if you have to hurt feelings a little to help sometimes it is called for, but as I said we have to use discretion. My father used to say I may have to hurt you to help you! and when I look back I don't necessarily believe he meant to hurt me physically, but maybe doing something I was uncomfortable with and hurting my feelings in order to help me and get what's good for me done. I hope this helps! c-ya in class b.k.

      Delete
  2. I never knew that eating disorders have the highest mortality rate over other mental illnesses. That is pretty scary. I only hope that rate would go further and further down. It seems as though media has a lot to do with these illnesses. Magazines have young, thin, fit women featured all the time. However, in today's media, I have seen more and more magazine features of the thicker, curvier woman. One would hope the mixture of woman of all sizes would help those with these types of disorders rather than add to the extremity of their disorder. I think this is a great topic to cover Sherrill. I look forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t have any experience personal experience with eating disorders. What I do have is second hand knowledge of the struggle from a parent’s point of view. A co-worker’s daughter struggles with an eating disorder. She has been in and out of treatment facilities with no long term cure. What I see is the emotional toll the disease has taken on the co-worker, the frustration that is seems so simple to just eat. And of course the financial burden is something to take into account, as counseling and inpatients stays are treatment facilities is extremely costly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a difficult topic and I pray that I can teach my kids to have healthy images and habits...

    ReplyDelete